Manzoor Ishani, Specialist Senior Consultant Solicitor, Sherrards Solicitors
Manzoor has more than 30 years' experience in UK and international licensing, franchising and distribution law and has lectured on the subject for various organisations and institutions (including the International Bar Association, the City of Westminster Law Society, the International Franchise Association, the European Franchise Federation, The Institute of Marketing, NatWest Bank, Barclays Bank and RBS) to businessmen, academics and lawyers in Mexico, America, Canada, United Kingdom, the Middle East, Scandinavia, continental Europe and Australia. He has assisted franchisors to franchise in 30 countries. He is also a franchisor; International Director of Stagecoach Theatre Arts Limited.
"The European Community" (Fourmat Publishing (Tolley), 1992)
More than 500 articles published with translations in 7 languages
"Franchising in the UK" (2nd Edition, Franchise World Publications, 1989)
"Franchising in Europe" (2nd Edition, Cassell Publications 1993)
"Franchising in Canada" (MacMillan Canada, 1992)
"The Business Franchise Guide" - Franchise Handbook (8th Edition, Blenheim Group Plc, 1997)
"Exporting to Scandinavia" (Kogan Page in association with the Department of Trade and Industry, 1998)
"Lawyering in the International Market" (Transnational Publishers Inc, 1999)
"International Distribution Law" (Transnational Publications Inc, 2001)
Journal of International Franchising and Distribution Law (1995-2001)
The Legal 500
"Manzoor Ishani is a leader in the field of U.K. and international franchising"
Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession
• Manzoor Ishani has "been there since before franchising was fashionable - he has seen everything before"
• "...praise from clients for his experience and real hands-on attitude"
• "with his impressive 25 years of experience, Manzoor Ishani's credentials as a franchising lawyer are unquestionable"
• "The amazing Manzoor Ishani is a veteran of the franchising scene, considered to have "seen and done it all!"
• Manzoor Ishani is a big draw as far as clients are concerned. "We chose him because we couldn't afford to get it wrong - we needed the voice of experience."
• Manzoor Ishani "has a stellar reputation and has been active in this area for over 20 years. His expertise spans international licensing, franchising and distribution law."
• Interviewees refer to Manzoor Ishani as "the godfather of franchising", saying: "He's been around for a long time, speaks very well and knows a lot."
• Ishani's reputation is heightened by the fact that "he is also a franchisor, and therefore combines first-hand commercial and legal experience."
• Manzoor Ishani "is old style and very courteous, but when dealing on commercial matters, he can be very tough" sources say.
• Referred to by Chambers 2012 as "Senior Statesman"
Sponsor of the National Franchisee Innovation Awards 1999-2001
Committees and Appointments
Freeman of the City of London
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Fellow of the Centre for International Legal Studies
Fellow of the Institute of Continuing Professional Development
Fellow of the Society for Advanced Legal Studies
Fellow of the Institute of Directors
Member of Board of Advisors - Suffolk University Law School, Boston (LLM Programme)
Franchise Committee - International Bar Association
Forum on Franchising - American Bar Association
Legal Committee of the British Franchise Association (1990-2000)
International Practice Advisor to the John Marshall Law School, Chicago
Practising Associate - The Academy of Experts